Monday, January 16, 2012

Taobao


Today I took delivery of my first Taobao online purchase!  An umbrella stroller made in China - but to export quality (it's a French brand).  Taobao is the Chinese equivalent of eBay - the online shopping website and there are hundreds of millions of products and hundreds of millions of subscribers/users - bigger than eBay I understand.  eBay was a spectacular failure in China - the story is well documented Products are usually cheaper than you find in regular stores, and postage / courier costs are nominal in China (the stroller cost about $3 to be couriered from another province to our front door).  To prove that word of mouth is the best form of advertising, I can attest to the fact that Taobao comes up in everyday conversation all the time.  Something akin to: Dang I've been to 5 different stores but can't find x product!  Response: have you tried Taobao?  The difficulty is that the website is completely in Chinese - but with the help of Google Chrome's auto translate function and websites such as taobaofieldguide.com it becomes achievable for my non-Chinese speaking self!

No comments:

Post a Comment